Friday, August 15, 2008

School Supply Sale

Today was the supply sale at Julianne's school.  We stocked up on her school supplies and paid 30 dollars for all the supplies and another 30 dollars for PTO stuff, field trip and classroom party fees.  I don't mind paying for that stuff but what does it really go toward?  I also put 50 dollars toward her school lunch debit card.  Isn't that funny that they now have debit cards for lunches.  I could go on my soap box about technology issues again but this one is actually pretty convenient.  You can specify if you don't want your child to have anything like if she/he is allergic to anything or you just don't want them to pick snacks, etc.  So we will see how it works.  I did not put any restrictions on her card yet so we will see how it goes.  Lunches are now $2.50 and I am not sure what she gets for that but here is a sampling of what they have next week.  

Wednesday: turkey & cheese sandwich, mayo/mustard, carrot sticks and apple slices
Thursday: Donato's pizza, tossed salad w/ dressing and pears
Friday: chicken nuggets, dipping sauce, steam broccoli, peaches and dinner roll with margarine

So that is a sample of what they have.  It does not sound as unhealthy as I thought it would be.  At least she will see different veggies everyday and she may or may not eat them but at least they are offered or given.  I am not sure if they just put all that on her plate or if she can choose to get the veggies on her plate or not.  If it was up to Julianne she would eat cheeseburgers and french fries and pizza everyday for lunch and dinner.  She is not a fan of my cooking since it contains veggies and herbs.  She is always asking me what I am cooking and she always claims that she will not like it.  Most of the time she does not like it but she does at least eat a bite of it regardless of if she likes it or not.  So it will be interesting to see how she likes the lunches.  I will allow her to eat lunch at school once a week and the other days we will pack her lunch.  I think she will appreciate getting the school lunches and she will think of it as a special treat.  

Here are random pictures from the last few weeks.

TV watchers

My neighbor let us borrow a "Sing Along-Trains" VHS and this was Nathan's first time really watching a movie.  He lasted probably about 10 minutes but seemed to enjoy it.  

Nathan and Julianne

Nathan and Julianne wrestling.

Mallory swinging

Mallory swinging at Highbanks Metro Park.

Things I am grateful/thankful for:
-Hearing Nathan yell "nima" when our neighbor, Nina, comes over to play.
-Seeing Dwight everyday
-Being energy efficient by keeping the windows open for long periods of time.
-cloth diapers-I really love using them and feel good about using them

2 comments:

Sweet Pea Chef said...

Ugh, the meals don't sound that bad, but they don't sound that great either...just uninspired. i know I am going to be in for a shock when I go through this in two years. Better to learn it through you!

Anonymous said...

Ha! I love the picture of the kids watching TV! Julianne is "catching flies," as we say in my family. My brother still gets that look!