Thursday, August 7, 2008

Autism Speaks

I just got back for an Autism Walk Kick-Off Event which is a fundraiser for Autism Speaks. Autism Speaks is an organization that raises funds for research into the causes, prevention, treatment and cure for autism; raises public awareness about autism and it effects on individuals, families and society and to bring hope to all who deal with the hardships of this disorder.   The speakers at the event were very inspiring, emotional and dedicated to helping kids with autism. My 16 year brother is on the autism spectrum and I personally see how this effects people.  My stepmother spoke at the event and 12 years ago my brother was diagnosed with autism and at that time she was told that it was very rare and that there was not a lot of things she could do.  She said that even today they do not know anymore than they knew at that time as to why it occurs and what factors "cause" autism.  However, it is more prevalent today and more and more kids are being diagnosed.  Another story was of a father who's son is severely autistic and now that he is older they just had to put him into an institution because of his biting, aggression and sudden outbursts.  He was deeply hurt and angry that he had to put him into an institution.  I think that for me even though I personally know someone that is autistic it would be different if it was my child.  I think that some of my days are bad or hectic or I did not practice enough patients today but I need to appreciate days like that knowing that others may be having a harder time.  

Here are some statistics that I learned from the event:
  • 1 in 150 children is diagnosed with autism
  • 1 in 94 boys is on the autism spectrum
  • More children will be diagnosed with autism this year than with AIDS, diabetes and cancer combined
  • Autism cost the nation over $90 billion per year, a figure that is expected to double in the next decade.
  • Autism receives less than 5% of the research funding of many less prevalent childhood diseases
  • Boys are four times more likely than girls to have autism
I will be putting together a team for the Autism Speak-Walk Now for Autism which occurs on October 12th and will be asking my friends and family to join me on my team.   

Things that I am grateful/thankful for:
-Seeing a rainbow coming out of the Autism Speak Event
-Turning up the radio in the car and singing when a good song comes on
-Spending alone time with my husband 
-Kissing my kids goodnight

Until next time...
   

No comments: