Saturday, October 11, 2008

Updates

I can't believe that the last time I updated my blog was last Thursday. That is probably the longest time I have gone without writing anything. I was telling D last night thatIi have not been sleeping very well and I think it is a combination of not writing in my blog, us having a busy couple of weeks and some upcoming events, helping my former employer financially constrain the Long Range Transportation Plan, having a job interview and working on my sister in law's pillow. I have been pretty busy working with my former employer financially constraining the upcoming 2009-2034 Long Range Transportation Plan. Right now they are in the early stages where they need estimates on how much transportation related income and expenses will occur within the next 30 years. So I am now projecting the revenues based on the previous 5 years expenditures and then projecting the cost of the transportation projects to see if the area can afford to fund all the projects they want to. It is a pretty long and daunting process especially when we have over 120 projects and many jurisdictions. However, I have gotten much more sofisticated in using Excel and now I have If/Then statements and future value functions in the speadhseets which have helped in reducting the number of columns I have in the spreadsheet and will help tremendously when I have to update it or switch projects around from year to year.

Additionally, I had an interview with the Federal Highway Administration for a full time Community Planner position. I was not too thrilled about the job since I want to get away from getting higher in the spending federal money bureaucracy. However, the salary was significantly higher than most planning jobs and I knew that the benefits would be good. What I would be doing is checking local and state transportation planning agencies' plans and programs to see if they are following federal regulations. I would not be producing plans or programs I would just be checking them. I think that the interview went well. I answered all their technical questions well, since I was familiar with the process and transportation planning, but I was not as excited about the job and they might have sensed that. I did like the people I interview with. They seemed pretty laid back and causal and they said that they believe that the organization is a pretty relaxed and fun place to work. I think it would be interesting to work on the federal side of transportation planning since for so long in my career I was the one submitting my work for Federal review. I would have to travel a lot to the local transprotaion planning agencies but they try to divide it up evenly between the planner. So we will see. The job add was listed nationally so I am sure that there are other qualified applicants. I was suppose to hear by the end of this week and I have not heard from them but I am thinking the later I hear I probably did not get the offer.

I halfway completed my sister in law's pillow. She is getting it monogrammed and then I am going to sew the back on so that it can be a pillow.
Photobucket
Photobucket
We took advantage of the great weather last weekend and visited a Metro Park. We had a picnic and went for a short hike. the kids always have fun when we do this and it is a great way to visit all the local parks in our area.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
During this past week we made colored rice and transformed the colored rice into mosaics. I get all my ideas for other blogs so most of my projects/crafts are not original. I don't really have the "kid craftiness gene" so I steal ideas for other blogs. I have several blogs that I get my ideas from and I will share those on another post. We took rubbing alcohol and food coloring and made colored rice. We let that dry overnight and they glued them onto post cards to make mosaics. We had a great time and Nathan even enjoyed mixing the rice and feeling the rice. I put the leftover rice into a Tupperware container and hid objects in it for Nathan.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Mallory's fish, Rainbow, died on Thursday. It was not doing well for the last couple of weeks, it refused to eat and the water was getting very murky very quickly so I knew that something was up. She was actually very sad about it and said that she loved the fish and that it was so beautiful and colorful. So after school we buried it in our backyard and she drew a picture of it. She is doing better now and is already asking for a new fish and I told her we were waiting a couple days in order to grieve our lost pet.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Things I am grateful/thankful for:
-reading Dove Chocolate's little saying inside the wrapper. Ex. "Forget the potholes in the road and celebrate the journey instead!"
-getting all green lights when I am in a hurry
-seeing a rainbow while running first thing in the morning
-Mallory saying she just can't help water running from her eyes when she is sad
-Catching Julianne reading to Mallory in the morning before we got up
-Seeing Nathan sweetly give a ball to another little girl during reading time at the library

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That whole business with your former employer and financially constraining a long-range plan... Ugh! That sounds awful! Not to mention hard! :)

Those are some of your best pictures, Shannon! There's something about the first three, I don't know. Just beautiful.

Poor Rainbow and poor Mallory. How did you explain death to her?

Your pillow is stunning! I hope your SIL is happy with it. You are so much craftier than you give yourself credit for.