Thursday, October 30, 2008

My new niece

My niece was born on Monday October 27th at 8:45 p.m. She weighed 8 lbs and 13 oz and was 21 inches long. So she was a large baby but still looked so tiny. I was fortunate enough to be present at her birth. It was a great experience and I was so thrilled to be a part of her birth. My sister-in-law did an excellent job of delivering her and she was very strong and calm during the entire process. That moment when your children are born is so exciting and special. It made me think of my own children's births. I took lots of pictures and here are some of my favorite.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

I took the kids to visit with her the next day and they were in love with her. The girls wanted to hold her the entire time we were visiting. Nathan even wanted to hold her and he did not like when I helped him. He was a little unintentionally rough but would give her lots of kisses. He was so cute to see him with her. I did not know how he would react but he definitely reacted in a loving way.
Photobucket
Photobucket

On Wednesday night we carved pumpkins that we got at the pumpkin patch. It was a lot of fun and Julianne was really good at carving her pumpkin. Nathan was not really interested in carving or touching the pumpkin guts. He actually was on the other counter top eating dog treats. In order to distract him I told him he could give the dogs a treat and he sat at the counter top next to us intermittently licking the dog treats. It was really funny. He was all shy about it and tried to be sneaky but he kept doing it so he must have liked the taste.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Notice Julianne's tongue. She was doing that in several of the photos.
Photobucket

Things I am grateful/thankful for:
-seeing Nathan try to comfort Julianne when she was crying in the car. He kept saying "hug".
-Mallory going into school yesterday without crying for the first time.
-Mallory saying she did me a "favour" for me by putting out he chairs and getting water while we were outside. She was all shy but loving about it.
-playing and raking fall leaves.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww, baby! She really is a cutie! How are your brother and sister-in-law doing so far? Oh, and did you find out her middle name?

Hee hee, at Nathan licking the dog treats! Adeline eats kibble sometimes, and I, being the lazy mom I am, think, "Well, maybe she's getting some protein." :/

Here's the eczema soap I was telling you about: http://www.emilyskinsoothers.com/

Sweet Pea Chef said...

Great picture of your new niece and her mommy.

Isn't it true that even "big" newborns look small? I remember when Graham was born I *totally* thought he was teeny tiny, soooo small. I think I was a little concerned because they told me he would probably be around 6 pounds since he was a few weeks early. But he was over 8!