Happy Birthday to my lovely husband. He is now 35 and now I am not the only person in the house who is 35. So he loves it this time of year because for 8 days we are not the same age and he loves to rub it in. We celebrated his birthday by giving him his presents and we will be having cake and dinner tomorrow night with the family. We had a friends birthday party to go to today so I could not make him dinner so tomorrow he will get his meal. He requested carbonara and I am making bread and dipping sauce so it should be a nice dinner.
I have been very frustrated, annoyed and sometimes stressed out lately. It seems like since Nathan turned two he has been screaming, yelling and having tantrums more often. For instance, today he cried in the car the entire time home from yoga. I don't even know why he was crying. I think he wanted a breakfast bar of which he already had one before we went to yoga so I was not going to give him another one. And then he cried again later in the morning over something I do not remember. So when he is screaming in the car I am get short with the girls and then I loose my patience. I actually don't loose my patience very much. I am pretty laid back and our discipline techniques work fairly well where I rarely have to raise my voice and get very stern. However, Nathan's screaming drives me nuts. I try to talk to him and have him use his words but that does not always work. His tantrums are because he is not getting something he wants, he wants me to pick him up when I cannot, or he is telling me something and I can not understand. So when he acts up I put him in a chair in the other room and tell him he can come out when he stops crying. This usually does works, it seems like he has some built up frustration where crying and screaming is the only way he can release it and when he comes out of his "time out" he is much more reasonably and patient. So I know that this is all normal and he is just within is "terrible twos" but he seems to be in it more than the girls ever were. So we will see. I usually keep my cool but I feel the tension headaches coming on slowly these past couple of weeks. So hopefully this is the worst of it and it will get better.
On another note I picked up Julianne from school yesterday and as soon as she got in the car she started crying saying she got "A Warning". A Warning means that she did not received a Happy Hawk certificate for the week and she got a warning for some unwanted behavior. She explained the story to me through her tears. She was on the reading rug and she was talking to her friend and her teacher looked over and said "that is a warning, Julianne." So I guess she is not suppose to be talking on the reading rug. She was very devastated that she got a warning. She cried for about an hour about it and I kept telling her that it is OK that this is the first one she has gotten all year and that she is such a great student and it is OK to make mistakes sometime. She just keep whining and crying after I talked to her and I finally told her she needed to go upstairs into her room to settle down and to regroup. She did and she came back down relaxed and she felt better. She has not really talked about it since then. D also talked to her about it and told her the same thing. I have to sign this piece of paper that talks about the warning and give it back to the teacher. So I will do that and see if she reacts to that. She is just too hard on herself and has this first child perfectionstic quality about her that we have to make sure she does not take herself too seriously and let herself make mistakes and not get too upset about it.
Things I am grateful/thankful for:
- Celebrating D's birthday with him
-escaping my frustration during yoga today
-finding a great card for D for his birthday
-having really nice weather yesterday where we could actually go for a walk as a family with the dogs
-my sister-in-law making a cake for D for his birthday
No comments:
Post a Comment