Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Birthday Party

Well we finally had Nathan's family birthday party at our house this weekend. We had a great time and Nathan had fun hanging out with our family. My sister-in-law made him a soccer cake which looked great but he was not too interested in eating. He was sick the entire week before with his usual cold/asthma so he did not eat my birthday cake the day before. So I was not surprised that he was not too into the cake.

D made a great birthday dinner for me. We had roasted red pepper pasta with goat cheese. It was delicious and it was great to have him make dinner for me. I went to get my hair cut and colored and I came home and dinner was served. The girls helped decorate a cake for me and we had a nice dinner surrounded by my beautiful flowers D had delivered on my birthday. He does such a great job making sure my birthday is special and he takes a lot of time to think out what he wants to do and executes it beautifully. I appreciate all that he does and how thoughtful he is. He is a great husband. Thanks D:)

I had Nathan's two year well doctor visit today. I had a lot of questions to ask her about his general health. I am trying to be more proactive to make sure that we have explored all possible causes for his different issues. I tend to have the attitude that our body will generally take care of itself and intervention is not necessarily needed. Here are my major concerns:

1. Asthma. We know that when he gets a cold it goes straight to his lungs and causes coughing/wheezing and labored breathing. He has had 4 of these episodes since October. They last for about a week and then the rest of the month he is fine. She suggested he take a once a day asthma medicine to curb his labored breathing during this time. We decided against that since he does not have symptoms during the rest of the month. We decided to be more proactive when his cold begins and to use his nebulizer at the beginning of his cold (which is his runny nose) instead of just during his labored breathing. I told her that I don't really know when I am suppose to be using the nebulizer and I just use it (minimally) when he begins the labored breathing. She said we should start it when he gets his runny nose and it should help him not have the labored breathing as much and will help with the amount of wheezing he has during the week. So I will try that since the scary part for me is when he has the labored breathing. So hopefully that will help even though I am not too thrilled with using that stuff more often.

2. Eczema. It is not too bad right now since the seasonal allergies are not bad and because he wears pants and does not have access to itching it. He loves to itch it when he is using the potty and that is when it gets bad when he itches it more. There is not much we can do about it since I have all the medicine I can use and I choose to only use them when he really breaks out. Right now it is manageable and does not affect him too much right now.

3. Yeast infections. He has been getting lots of yeast infections lately in his diaper area. I am aware that cloth diapers hold the yeast spores and they get more moist than disposable diapers so that may be the major cause why he gets the yeast infections. However, I have been reading more about how some people have yeast overgrowth in their intestines and this can affect their digestive tracts, nutrition, etc. So we talked about that briefly. She recommended we use Florastor which is a probiotic and helps maintain the balance of good microorganisms in the gut and promotes intestinal health. So we will see and I am hoping that this will help his very runny stools. Which was another issue. He has very loose stools and it could just be that he has loose stools but could it also be from something else going on. So hopefully this will help. I like that it is like a supplement and not a medicine. We will use it for 10 days and see what happens.

4. Allergies. We talked about his next allergy test (which is in early March) which will hopefully show what other things he may or may not be allergic to. On one hand it would be nice to find out what he may be allergic to and what may be messing with his system and keeping his eczema going. If we knew than we could eliminate that item(s) then we could see if it helps him. On the other hand if it is wheat or something common it will be a pain to eliminate that item also. Additionally, we could eliminate the offensive food and it would not affect his eczema and we would be in the same position. Or it could help his digestive tract or it could help him not be so picky. Who knows. I may never know. So it will be interesting to see what happens when he has his next allergy test.

So those were my major issues we talked about. Gosh, usually my well check ups are boring and we don't usually talk about anything because I never have any issues. But with little Nathan I do. He was almost at the 25th percentile for weight and almost at the 10th for his height. So he went from the 10th percentile for his weight at this 18 month appointment to the 25th. She was not overly concerned with above issues since he had gained weight. She said she would be concerned if he had not gained weight. She said that kids with all sorts of digestive/allergies issues do not gain weight. So that is good. Like I told her I am fine if he has these issues and that is just what his body is doing but I want to make sure that I have exhausted all resources and options and to make sure we are not making it worse by not being more proactive. She was really understanding and said she is mostly interested in his allergy test results to see if any other allergens shows up positive.


Photobucket
My beautiful flowers
Photobucket
My birthday cake (the "5" broke so we just used the 3)
Photobucket
Photobucket
Mallory and the newest cousin, Jacob
Photobucket
Julianne with Lexee
Photobucket
Nathan and Mimi
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Things I am grateful/thankful for:
-being able to celebrate my 35th birthday with my family
-coming home to a lovely cooked meal
-seeing my kids excited for my birthday
-having a great husband
-having a warm house when the temperatures are below zero
-Having a generally healthy son

1 comment:

Sweet Pea Chef said...

You got Dwight to cook you goat cheese/roasted red pepper pasta? WOW!

I owe you a call...things are too crazy here today. I will try and call tonight.