Saturday, January 10, 2009

Dreary day with ice and no snow

Well we were suppose to have 3-5 inches of white fluffy snow and instead we got a lot of ice, slush and some rain. I dislike these days. The sidewalks are slippery so you can not run or walk outside and the kids do not want to go out and play since it is slippery and icy. So we hung around all day and the kids pretend played and we organized the basement storage area. We did that mainly because I broke Nathan's crib lowering the rail. The plastic thing that keeps it close to his bed broke off. I guess the crib has held up for three babies so that is good that it has lasted that long. I may try to find a replacement part online but if not I am glad that it lasted that long. So since that happened we decided to switch him to a big bed. We thankfully have my brothers bed (who is now 16) and we set it up and tonight will be his first night in it. This will be the earliest we have transferred our children to big beds. Julianne was around 27-28 months because it was right before Christmas when we moved her. We moved Mallory right before Nathan was born so she must have been two and half or older. So we will see. I think he will be fine. You always have the expectation that he will be getting out, climbing over everything, getting into trouble and they never do. With Mallory and Julianne it took them several months to half a year to figure out that they could get out of the bed by themselves. So we will see, Nathan may be different but he may not.

At 9:15 p.m on January 10th two years ago my water broke while I was watching Real World on MTV. I was sitting on our blue couch and I heard two kind of pops or rubber bands snapping. Sure enough I got up and looked down and there was a spot of water on the couch. I walked to the bathroom and my pants were completely wet. D was actually running with his friend Ron and it just happened that he had his cell phone with him. It was so ironic because before he left he said that he was going to take his cell phone and I told him that he probably did not need to take it since I had not had any contractions that night. But he said that he should probably take in just in case. So anyways, I called him and told him to get home. He was about 2 miles away and he drove to a spot so he had to run 2 miles back to his car and drive home. So it took him awhile. I called the midwife and told her that I have fast labors and she told me to get to the birthing center as soon as I could. I also called my friend Luzzette who was watching the kids in this instance. They were already asleep and she forgot that her husband was out of town that night so she was going to come over and pick the kids up. Well it ended up that she and her dad met us at the birthing center and took the kids home with her. So I think we got the the birthing center around 10:15 ish and I got my dose of antibiotics for the Strep B infection. At that time my contractions had just started so I was not really in that much pain. I remember walking around the birthing center halls a couple times and then mostly just sitting on the edge of the bed for the rest of the time. That helped me with the contractions a lot more than laying down. I really wanted to have a water birth but the room with the tub was already occupied. I began to feel pressure and I pushed just a couple of times and he was born at 1:43 a.m. His umbilical cord was wrapped around his head two times but he came out so fast that they did not have time to cut it so they kind of had him do a somersault to get him out. They put him on my chest and he layed there for a while, nursed and an hour or two they took him and wighted him, measured and wrapped him up and gave him back to me. I suspected that he was a boy so I was not too shocked to find out he was a boy but it was a great feeling to have him out and to be able to see him and to have him close to us. I have to mention that when I felt the urge to push I had to lay on my back so that the midwife could check me and that is when the pain got really strong and I started scream a little and my face got all red. My point is that D could see me experiencing pain and he almost fainted by the side of the bed. I remember hearing the nurse asking him if he was OK and I looked over and said "what are you doing?" It was kind of funny and sincere at the same time.

So that was Nathan's birth story. We went home 12 hours later (it is usually 6 but since I had Strep B they keep you 6 more hours) and picked up the girls from preschool and they got to met him for the first time. It was a great experience and I would not change any of it. The girls took right to him and adored him and I don't remember too much jealousy. I know that it was chaotic and hectic for a lot time but that passed after several months. A nurse came our house the next two days to check us both out and that was it.

I still can't believe that he is two years old tomorrow. It seems like we have always had time and then sometimes I seems like he is still a baby.

He has been peeing on the potty more lately mostly because he has a yeast infection and a red behind so here is a picture of him on the pot. The ball ended up going in the potty where he had already peed a few seconds after I took this pictures.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
His new bed.

Things I am grateful/thankful for:
-Having a nice warm house on a dreary cold day like today.
-The kids occupying themselves by pretend playing all day and enjoying being home and not always having something to do.
-organizing things
-Buckeye Blitz ice cream from Graters (I had some last night and have not had it for a long time)

No comments: