Sunday, July 12, 2009

Farewell flies...

After our 4th of July block party our house was inhabited by lots and lots of flies. It was not bothering me too much but my mom was a little annoyed when she would go downstairs to our guest bedroom to find numerous flies. She was not amused and did not want to co-sleep with the flies. My grandmother asked us where we kept our bug spray and much to her shock we did not own bug spray. D told her that we do not kill insects. This is proof that when Nathan sees a fly in the screened in porch he comes inside grabs some Tupperware and takes it outside in the hopes of catching the fast flies. Then once he catches it, or I catch it, we take it outside to let it go. So we were in a dilemma about how to dispose of the flies in the basement so that my mother could sleep soundly. Well tried the old sticky tape theory of which D was pretty successful at but my smashing them with a shoe box was a faster way to get them. We probably ended up getting about 20 flies from our basement. The next night we had the same number of flies return. After my mom left I was not too worried about them but on Friday the flies started to annoy me. So what did I do? I took out my vacuum and attacked them with the nozzle. I think I sucked up at least 20 new flies. I did the first floor and then tackled the basement. So now I am sitting here at my computer, in the dining room, and I am no longer annoyed with flying flies. I feel very satisfied and I do not feel guilty that I sucked up lots of flies. My thinking is that this is my house. If you are in my house then I can suck you up in my vacuum. I will not kill bugs outside since it is their domain. This was my same theory in Knoxville with the overly biting mesquites. Those black bugs just irritated me so much that I hated going outside because I did to want to put bug spray on my body and I hated the sound they made by my face. So I always got extra irritated when they came into my house and started biting me in my territory. I had zero sympathy and killed them as fast as I could. Die mosquitoes and flies.

Anyway, enough of that. Nathan has been doing an excellent job with being potty trained. He had one Hersey squirt of a poop in his underwear one afternoon and that was it. I think it probably slipped out. He is still getting used to what a poop and what a fart feels like so maybe this was one of those times. Our house has gotten back to normal since our crazy past two weeks with family in town. Mallory started safety town and she loves it. She is with her cousin and other friends from her preschool so that made it a little easier. Julianne starts an art camp next week. This will be the first activity that Julianne has done all summer. We have actually had a nice summer with little activities here and there but not too much. Julianne is so much nicer to her siblings and likes to play with Mallory more since not being in school. It just proves my whole theory that school is very stressful and busy for Julianne. And when she gets home she breaks down emotionally and physically. I can tell that now that she is not in school is better able to control her emotions and able to enjoy herself more without feeling anxious.

This was D's first weekend without having to study for his license test. He was much more relaxed and was able to enjoy his weekend. He took the kids down to see his mom and I got to mow the grass and enjoy a little free time.

I have not had too much time to blog lately because my "free" time has been spent filling out crazy health insurance forms. Since D is going to be an independent worker we have to get our own insurance. Those forms are crazy and ask us our health questions from about 10 years ago. The one was so specific to ask us our medication and how much dosage we had. I don't remember all that stuff nor do I have the information for all that. Well I did find most of the stuff and they seem to be satisfied with what I gave them. So we will see. It looks like we will be paying $500 dollars in premiums for not a lot of coverage until we meet our $3,000 deductible. So that sucks. Oh well. I guess that is what we have to do.

Things I am grateful/thankful for:
-Have mom and grandma stay with us for a couple of days.
-A good vacuum
-A fun Saturday night with hubby drinking "Bitch" wine
-Seeing Billy Joel and Elton John in concert with a good friend.
-Not having to fill out anymore Health Insurance forms

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The vacuum cleaner was a great idea. You are right, bugs belong outside and not in your domaine! Bitch wine???? Glad you guys went out and had fun.