This weekend was actually pretty relaxing compared to the last couple of weekends. Our weekends have been really crazy with Julianne's birthday parties, football games and other social gatherings. This weekend was much more peaceful and much needed especially after our three days of darkness and ice refrigeration. I do kind of miss the simple life of living without electricity. I liked the quietness, the candlelight, the sound of the crickets and outdoors, being more in touch with nature and the power of nature, and spending more quality time with the kids and D. The girls were not really that affected by the outage since they do not watch much television and they spend most of their time pretend playing with themselves or playing outside with the neighbors. So in that respect it was nice that I did not have kids who did not know what to do with themselves without their TV or video games.
However, D and I defiantly got back into our regular routine of putting the kids to bed and relaxing by watching TV or renting DVD's. During the day when I am with the kids I do keep the TV off so that I can concentrate on them and not get distracted and so that they do not grow up with a TV constantly on. So I do like the stillness and my patience is much lower when I am not distracted about senseless TV, but at night I am so exhausted that I like laying on the couch and watching senseless TV shows. Sometimes I feel like I should be more productive during that time but others times laying on the couch is really what I want to do. So anyway I am rambling on about my TV conflict. Don't we all have conflicts in our life?
One of my new sewing projects that I will be working on within the next month are my sister-in-law's pillow for her new baby's room. She wants me to sew her a pillow using the trim from an existing lovely blanket, sewing in on a different fabric and then sewing some ribbon on it She will take this section to a embroiderer and get Lexee's initial on it and then I will make it into a pillow cover. I will take a picture of the template and post it within the next few days. It should be a pretty simple project, so we will see.
After that project I may take the girls to the fabric store to see if they want me to make them a Halloween costume or just bag that idea and sew them a Lazy Days Skirt. The skirt is kind of a season too late but if I use heavier fabric they could wear it with tights during the winter. So the skirt looks less complicated than a potential Halloween costume so we will see. I tried to make Julianne a Google, her favorite stuffed animal, costume when she was three and it turned out to be a disaster that I never finished. I don't really need any more projects that I don't finish so I am trying to acknowledge my abilities and time constraints that I have and plan wisely. Sure it is fun to have high expectations, to dream big and to challenge ourselves but when it gets too stressful and too much of a chore then I get turned off and my sewing hobby will be stalled for several months because I am too disappointed that I did not finish it. So especially since Halloween is a deadline that may make it worse. I want my sewing hobby to be fun and enjoyable and I have had too many projects make it un-enjoyable and cumbersome. So I am not doing that anymore. Well enough of that topic.
Mallory had a headache all day today and she was really hot this evening. I gave her Tylenol and she took a nap on the couch with D this evening and we put her to bed so I never actually took her temperature so hopefully she will feel better in the morning. D is great when the kids are sick. He is the man to sleep with if they are puking all night or they need some extra comfort at night. I on the other hand am not that great of a help at night. He can sleep through anything, can go back to sleep easily and is more patient if he does not get a good nights sleep. Again I am accepting my limitations!!
Things I am grateful/thankful for:
-running with D at 6:45 a.m. on a cool Saturday morning
-going to bed at 10:00 pm. and not waking up until around 6:30 a.m. (that's some good sleep!)
-seeing Mallory sleeping on D's chest
No comments:
Post a Comment