Tuesday, January 26, 2010

January wrap-up

Well we just celebrated D's b-day this past weekend and now we are officially finished with our January birthday bazaar. It was a little crazy and fun but we are glad it is over. D and I had a relaxing dinner and saw Avatar in 3D. It was really cool to see a movie in 3D but it sure did make me sick. I had to take off the glasses 1/4 of the way into the movie. We tried to sit pretty far back in the theater but we should have sat in the very back row. For some reason with my older age I cannot see movies in movie theaters. The screens are too large and the last time we watched a movie at this same theater we got to the movie late and had to sit really close to the screen. It also did not help my motion sickness with an action movie and things moving all the time. I had to leave that movie and sit in the lobby for about half of the movie. So that kind of stinks. But overall it was a good movie and it would be nice to watch it again and not feel like I was going to throw up.

I am currently going through a sewing spree. I am taking a Amy Butler Field Tote bag sewing class and so I am working on that as well as two quilts. So my dining room table is a mess and I also have two pants to hem, girl scout badges to sew on as well as some other smaller projects that I would love to get done. I have a running list of things that I would like to work on and it seems like it takes months for the projects to move to the top of my list. Once I complete this purse, which the last class is this Thursday, then I will be able to go back to the quilts. I am not in love with the purse design but I really wanted to take a sewing class and this was the only class on a Thursday and my hubby at the time was not busy on Thursday nights so it worked out well. Well as things change he ended up switching basketball from Tuesdays to Thursdays in January so we were stuck getting a babysitter and it did not seem as freeing and relaxing of an experience as I wanted it to be. Anyway it worked out and I am half way done with my purse. I have lots of extra fabric so I just used that for the bag. The bag is just way too big for me but I am sure that I can use it for something. Also the class began last Thursday and it was nice to talk to other crafty people and to complete a project with someone else.

I had a funny story to tell about Nathan that I have been meaning to write down and share. We were at my office selling girl scout cookies for Julianne and Mallory had sticky fingers from sucking on a candy cane. Well we went into the lobby bathroom where believe it or not there was a urinal. Nathan saw it and went right over to it and touched it like it was the Holy Grail. He immediately pulled down his pants and said "Mommy let me stand on your feet." He was just a little too short for it. So I let him stand on my feet and he peed in it without being asked, told, or persuaded. I thought to myself, I need to get one of these in our house. He loved it and all that time I have to tell him to listen to his body when he needs to pee so that he does not dribble in his pants. It was just really funny and a memory that I hope I will never forget.

We got the kids report cards, oh I mean progress cards, yesterday and the good news is that none of the teachers want to have conferences with us. I was a little worried after the last quarters report card that they would both want to have conferences. They only have winter conferences if the teacher requests it. Anyway, the girls are doing well. Julianne is reading at grade level so she has progressed. At her last conference, the teacher was a little worried that she if she did not progress this past quarter that she would fall below grade level. So that is great news. We have seen some improvement but she still does not like to read and it is usually a battle ever night to get her to read. The past week has been a little better so hopefully she will be begin to enjoy it. She also needs a little extra practice on her subtraction but other than those two things she is a great student and is a joy to have in class. So that is very important. We know she will be fine but it is always hard to see your child have some difficulties but in the long run it will hopefully build skills and resilience.

Mallory is also doing alright. She is also a great student, has great manners, and is respectful. She is doing better with her sounds and knowing the letters. The teacher still said that she needs extra help her numbers but yesterday she counted to one hundred so I don't know if that is written numbers or verbally speaking. So we will see. We have to get something that has one hundred pieces counted out for the 100th day of school. She counted pretty well when she was counting it out. She is still meeting with the reading resource teacher so hopefully that has been helping. I know she likes seeing her and meeting with her. It also helps that she gives them candy and special treats.

Things I am grateful/thankful for:
-celebrating all the January birthdays.
-Being at home with my kids
-fleshly fallen snow

No comments: