Monday, September 7, 2009

Getting settled

Well we are finally getting settled into our school routine. Well at least the girls are. Nathan does not start school for a few more weeks. Mallory has been doing great transitioning into Kindergarten. When I dropped her off on Monday she went right in and then came running back out crying. I think she ran and did not really see anyone and did not know what to do so she ran back out and became very clingy. Well the teacher got her to go back in and then I talked to her about it after school and she told me that she did not know what she was suppose to be working on so then she got worried and came back out. So the next day I asked her teacher to explain what she was suppose to be doing after we drop them off and while she is waiting for everyone to get there. So she told Mallory that she is suppose to be writing her name down and then graphing herself in (meaning signing herself in). So this helped and for the rest of the week she did really well. She loved the extra activities that they get to do in kindergarten such as going to the "book room" (aka library), gym and music. So she loves going now and there is another Mallory in her class and that has helped in the social aspect. They are now best buds and it helped her remember her name. She also has an Andrew and a Jacob in her classroom so that makes it easier to remember those names since they are also her cousin's names.

I finally finished the girls Oliver + S Birthday Party Dress. This dress took me three weekends of blood sweat and frustration. I pretty much understood all the directions and it was pretty easy to assemble except for the sleeves. For some reason I could not understand what they wanted me to do in order to sew the sleeves together. So I ended up hand sewing them and they turned out beautiful but I was still frustrated that I could not get the directions. Oh well. The dresses are one size larger than their measurements since the last dresses I made for them were a little sung. The girls like them. I will not say love because they really don't love them. Our conservative Julianne is worried that her butt will be seen with only the buttons in the back. So I am going to try to find a shirt and tights so they can also wear them in the wintertime. If I were to make them again I would try to line up the birds on Julianne's dress and make them more symmetrical. When you cut the fabric you place the wrong sides of the fabric together and make two sides from one cut. So I lined up the top one so that the birds were in the middle of the panel but I forgot to pay attention to the other side so that is they the birds are a little off. Oh well.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

We also had our second annual campout in our backyard this weekend. It was a lot of fun. The kids enjoyed playing in the tent and roasting marshmallows in the evening with our neighbors. Nathan slept inside and of course I had to sleep with him so I slept in our bed while D slept with the girls in the tent. It was a cool evening so I know that it was comfortable for them.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

D also passed his oral examine for his license. He is now officially a licensed phschologist. So we are very proud of him for all his hard work and determination for completing the long process to becoming a licensed psychologist. Now he does not have any test hanging over his head and is very happy for that reason. He started his new job at the two private practices and is so far liking his new found freedom of being his own boss (or I guess his clients are his boss).

I think that is about it. Julianne's birthday is coming up and we have not even planned her friend party. she wants to have a sleep over so we will probably be doing that within the next few weekends.

Things I am grateful/thankful for:
-D finishing his long process to becoming a licensed physchologiest
-Seeing how happy Mallory is with school
-getting back to a regular schedule

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dress look good! Cute fabric with the birds, hope they will want to wear them often.K