Monday, June 14, 2010

We're back from Vermont

Well we just got back from our trip to rural southern Vermont. D and I had a great time and we loved every minute of it. We had 4 days of relaxation, romance and quiet. The kids stayed with D's mom and we are so grateful that she was able to watch them for that long. Our bed and breakfast was so cozy, historic, and the staff was so accommodating and gracious. We spent our time trail running, shopping, talking, taking pictures, touring small historic towns, and eating delicious food. Our daily routine consisted of getting up around 8:00 a.m. We ate breakfast at the inn and their meals were all delicious overfilling meals. After breakfast we figured out which trails we were going to run we went out on our adventure. We love to run trails because we both love to run in new places and we love that we can go farther by running and faster versus hiking the trails. The last day we did hike the trails around the inn because we were both tired of running and we enjoyed the slower pace of walking the trails. It was nice to slow down and actually enjoy the surroundings and I was able to take pictures of the hike. Rural southern Vermont was so adorable. There would be tiny towns within 5 miles of each other. We would drive for 5 miles on a road then have to slow down to 40 mph then to 30 mph and then it would probably take about 1 minute to drive through the town before we would be back to 40 mph and then back up to 50 mph. There was a really cute town called Jamaica, VT that was so cute and we loved the general store there where we bought homemade desserts and soft serve ice cream. We also went to Townshend where there was the local emergency room in a large house. We stopped by the general store and bought wine and other treats. We went to Fanfare, VT where there was an adorable General Store. We bought lots of souvenirs for our family. They had lots of fantastic handmade quilts. I could have stayed in the store forever. The craftsman ship put into these quilts were amazing. I would have love to buy one, but I did not. I got a lot of ideas from the quilts and viewing all the them made me want to tackle one of the more traditional quilting patterns.

I could go on and on about our vacation. We loved our time and we always become closer when we spend a lot of time together. We missed the kids but we knew that they were in good hands. It is nice to be home and to have them around us. Nathan seemed like he grew and his hair was lighter so that was wired to come home and see him.

The best thing that happened this week was that we have a new extended family member. I have a new nephew. My sister's baby Ryan was born on Monday and he is so adorable and cute. We went and visited him the next day and the girls loved holding him and loving on him. Julianne kept saying that she loved the baby and that she wished that Nathan was that small again. She did not like that Nathan was not as snuggly or loving as Ryan was. I had to remind her that baby's do grow up and are not that way all the time.

Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket
He was so sweet. It was hard to tell who he looks like. He looked kind like her other kids but you never know since he is still so young.

Here are the pictures of the largest rock quarry. It was too cold to swim in but it was interesting. The rocks slabs were so large it was amazing to see them stacked on top of each other. There were also faces etched into the corners of the slabs. Can you see one in my pictures?
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket
Here are some pictures of the longest covered bridge. The craftsmanship on this bridge was amazing. The wood beams were so large and they used wood pegs to keep the the beams together. It is now a pedestrian bridge but it was an amazing piece of artwork.

Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket
This was another bridge that was amazing. I loved the wood floorboards and the steel construction. It was a sweet one lane bridge that was well used.

Photobucket Photobucket
This is Jamaica's Town Hall. It was so cute and adorable.

Photobucket Photobucket
This was the parlor of where we stayed. It was actually an old refurbished barn. The ceilings were so low and the wood in the barn was amazingly old and rustic. So we loved the "duck" signs of which D had to duck every time. I have pictures of the outside of the barn but they did not upload so I will have to post them later.

Here are some of the beautiful flowers from the Inn.
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket
Did you see the chipmunk?

Photobucket Photobucket
The first day we stayed at the Inn we went running in the rain. So our shoes were wet and we put them in front of the gas stove. The gas stove had a timer on it and we also did not think that it was very hot. However, shortly after I went to bed I started to smell smoke so I looked over and my shoe was smoking. I quickly jumped out of bed and moved my shoe and turned off the fireplace. The next morning I looked at my shoe and this is what happened. I had no idea that my shoe was melting. I felt terrible that we could have set our room, and the historic barn, on fire. I am thankful that my light induced sleep allowed me to wake up and look over at my shoe. We continually laugh about it since it did have a happy ending. Needless to say we spent the next morning driving around southern Vermont looking for a shoe store.

I have more pictures but for some reason I did not upload them. So I will have to post them later.


Things I am grateful/thankful for:
-the amazing sights and places in Vermont
-spending time with D and loving him more today than I did when we were married
-Having a great MIL
-seeing my kids after 4 days away from them

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great story about the shoe, sounds like you had a great time - 2 of you together alone without kids!!! Ryan is a mix between the kids, be interesting to see. Looks like he may have had a cone head???? K