Monday, April 19, 2010

Updates

Well I have been busy working in the yard, enjoying the beautiful weather and not posting on my blog. Within the past two weeks we have received two fun and special gifts. I now own a composter and a rain barrel. I am so excited. The composter was more of a purchase in order to test it for work. Someone at work submitted a composting proposal for use in the home office. So it was basically approved and we thought it was a great idea with all the cafeteria scraps that currently are thrown away. The maintenance director wanted to wait until the early summer in order to give the current staff time to adjust to the new recycling routine and to get up to full time staff. He also wanted me to get references for the composter that the team member proposed. He wanted to know it if was really durable, what the end product would look like, etc. So I wrote the company asking them to send me some references. I did not receive a response so I then called and left two messages. I did not receive a response. So I ended up buying one so that I could test it out. I have been wanting to purchase a compost tumbler for a while so this was motivation to actually do it. So we have had it for two weeks and it has been really nice. It is easy to use, gets lots of air in it and it very durable. We have been throwing in our kitchen scraps and throwing our yard waste into it for the past two weeks. Within the next week we will stop putting stuff in it so that it can compost. Then hopefully I will be able to see the results and report those back to our office.

Photobucket
Here it is. The picture is terrible but I don't feel like taking another picture of it.
Photobucket
Inside shot

My second toy is my rain barrel. I have been wanting to get one of these since I first saw them a few years ago. I was a little hesitant about cutting my gutter but within the past year they have developed easier ways to connect it to your gutter. Additionally, if it fills up the water goes back into the gutter. So why would I not use one? It was easy to install, I drilled a hole in my gutter and hooked up the attachment. I also strategically located it next to my garden so that hopefully I can put a soaker hose in my garden and then just attach it to the rain barrel nossel. I had it installed for about a week before we got any rain. Friday was our first rain and it filled about half way up. So that was exciting first of all that it worked and secondly that it filled up so fast. I have already used it and I love not having to turn on my facet, move my hose around, etc.

Photobucket
Hail to the rain barrel.
Photobucket
The left is the area for my garden.

So anyway, that is about it. Julianne had her first soccer game of the season yesterday. She did an excellent job during the game. D and I talked about how much progress she has made since her first game in the fall and her first game this spring. This game she was aggressive, she knew what was going on, she was not afraid of making mistakes and she enjoyed herself. So it was great to see. She even scored a goal so that made her super excited. It is great to see her gain self confidence in something that she does and we are proud of her for that.

Photobucket
Julianne talking to her friend during their break.
Photobucket
Photobucket
She is going after the ball. Go Julianne. She definitely had that splotching red face after the game from running so hard.
Photobucket
Photobucket
What a kick. I wish the picture was better. Look at her red face.
Photobucket
She is in the action now.
Photobucket
Nathan and his favorite babysitter.

Things I am grateful/thankful for:
-great spring weather
-Spring blooms
-fantastic, loving and involved hubby

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for an update and awesome pictures! I love that Julianne is doing so well in soccer! It's so neat to see her enjoy and excel at something like that!

I'm sorry I wasn't able to talk this morning. I know my cube neighbors can overhear, and it always makes me self-conscious and nervous. Next time I'll turn my pump on to drown out some noise! :)

Anonymous said...

I love the rain barrel and composter. I know you will enjoy your garden. It is great to see Julianne enjoying a sport. K