Friday, March 12, 2010

Lovely Spring Weather

Due to the warmer spring like weather, we took the dogs for a walk on Tuesday and Thursday. That is the most they have been walked all winter. So they were tired but I think they were glad to be out of the house and out of the snow.
Photobucket
Photobucket
We played Elefun outside and it was great to play it in a larger space then our playroom.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
While on our walk Mallory picked up every struggling worm off of driveways and put them in the grass. Needless to say it was a long walk.
Photobucket
Photobucket
"Girls! Here's another worm."
Photobucket
"Oh I am tired after that walk."

I am propagating seeds this year for my first real official garden. I planted basil and rosemary last year but this year I hope to actually grow veggies. So I took a seed propagation class a few weeks ago and then last night I took a organic veggie garden class. Both were very informative especially for a newbie like myself. I learned a lot and I hope it will help me in my gardening endeavors. So I started my seed propagation last week and I have a great turnout. Most of my plants, except for the cilantro , has popped up. My greatest fear is getting the plants started and then having them die once they get outside. So we will see what success I have. I propagated basil, cilantro, heirloom big mouth tomatoes, heirloom Al Kuffa tomatoes and heirloom Quadrato d'Asti Rosso red peppers. I am still participating in our local CSA with my good friend but I thought that the red peppers and tomatoes were lacking so I wanted to produce them myself. So I am hopeful that my brown thumb will become green this spring and summer. So wish me luck.

Photobucket
Photobucket

My friend Katie is starting a garden in TN and she hired someone to make her a 4X8 raised garden bed. I think that was a great idea and I wish there was someone in Columbus that did that. I guess there probably is I just don't know. But I thought that was a great idea. You go Katie.

Things I am grateful/thankful for:
-warmer weather.
-Hearing the birds chirp and seeing animals in my backyard (we had two ducks in our mud pond on Thursday) after a long winter
-Nathan saying "Mommy, I like your shoes" (my fancy shoes I wore to work)
-Julianne questioning how Santa flies from north pole to our house and back to other houses in one night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Mallory and her worm!! She and Nathan look like good dog walkers. I know you guys must be ready for spring to come and stay! Good luck with your garden, looks like a good start. A raised bed is the best way, maybe you can go to the garden store and ask if they know someone who can build it for you.K

Anonymous said...

great pictures of m & n!!!!

i'm proud of your seed propogation skills ....