Friday, February 26, 2010

Complain

OK I am just going to complain about the weather for a second. We received another round of heaving snow last week. I am tired of the cold weather, not necessarily the snow, but of always being cold. My car is cold, my house is cold, my bed is freezing, and when I get out of the shower it is cold. It is cold when I am walking Mallory into school and Nathan just wants to stay outside and kick the snow. The cold weather exacerbates the ice dams that are clogging my gutters and the mound of snow that I have to drive over everyday to get into my driveway. The mounds of snow prohibit the dogs from pooping in the grass so they poop on the sidewalk, the driveway and in our garage. That means that we are constantly stepping in it. I can deal with the cloudy dreary days, those do not get me down it is the constant below freezing days that get to me. I have to wear three layers of shirts in my house and my husband keeps asking me why I keep wearing my favorite sweatshirt around the house. I tell him that it is because it is too cold to not wear it. What I do love about the cold is that it produces snow, lots and lots of snow. I love that it is banked up around my drive way and along the sidewalk because of shoveling. I love seeing how the snow falls and the interesting creations it makes. I love that when I look at the window I see white snow covered ground. I like when our week gets disturbed because of snow days or that we are told we should not drive on the roads. I love that it is only temporary. I also like the icicles that form because of our clogged ice dammed gutters. So just now talking about what I like about the cold I am feeling better. I actually feel kind of warm sitting in my dining room.

Speaking of snow here are some pictures
Photobucket
Here is our fence in front of the house
Photobucket
And our almost covered mailbox
Photobucket
These are the snow banks that are taller than the kids.
Photobucket
Photobucket
That says 16 inches.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Nathan was sick again this weekend. He was coughing on Friday and on Sunday he was in full blown heaving breathing mode. It was not as bad as the last time but not minor like they were before the last time. He again asked for treatments and did not want one of them to be over. So I guess that is good that at least they are working, even if they are temporary and a band aid for what is really going on.

I have gobs and gobs of girl scout cookies sitting in front of me. Julianne sold 161 this year which was great for her. Her Mimi sold about half of that but she did sell the rest. We went to my work and she asked people and we went around the neighborhood. So now comes the hard task of actually getting them off my dining room table.

I attended an Energy conference on Tuesday and Wednesday which was pretty interesting. It was your typical good ole energy district boys in attendance and a few women. The guest lunch speaker was quiet interesting. He talked the whole time about Climategate, which is a conspiracy theory between scientist who track historical temperature data and who report on global warming. The theory is that the scientists who collected this data and said that the world is warming eliminated more than half of the temperature tracking monitors from the study, did not participate in peer to peer review and are missing other relevant information. Because of these flaws in the study and data scientist on the other side claim that the world is not warming and the ice caps are not melting. I have already heard about Climategate but what I did not know is that Climategate discussions are not occurring within the US. Dampening the validity or even discussing Climategate may be because of political and media pressures. If we learn that the earth is not warming then do we need environmental policy like Cap-n-Trade? Doesn't our entire alternative fuels push collapse if we don't have to worry about global warming? Regardless of this theory and what is true or not true we should still be finding alternative sources of energy, conserving our existing natural resources, and living within our capacity.


Things I am grateful/thankful for:
-weather seasons (I think it would be boring to only have two seasons)
-Seeing 4 deer while on my morning run (I was actually a little nervous thinking that they could turn on me and attack me and no one would know)
-watching Mallory read a story in school.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

2 seasons are definately not boring. We had a bad winter too and are waiting to warm up. Spring will come soon to all and the cold house will soon be warm again. K