Well he is in and has been in his terrible twos for awhile now but sometimes I feel like it is getting worse each day. (However, today he has been pretty well behaved.) But I have been meaning to vent for sometime. He is very stubborn and strong willed. Those are my biggest complaints. He loves to do everything by himself from getting into the car, walking in the parking lot, changing his diaper or clothes, playing with every toy the girls have or had and eating what he wants to eat. It takes him forever to get into the car and to walk in the parking lot especially when I am in a hurry, which I usually am since it takes us forever to get into the car in the first place. I always set aside 10 extra minutes than when I really want to leave the house since I know that it will be that much more time to get out of the house. There is always someone who is in a mood or forgets something or needs water or whatever the need is. Nathan favorite thing to do lately is run away from us if we tell him to come here. So this usually happens outside when I am trying to leave and I tell them to go outside and get into the car. He goes outside and then stays in the driveway and when I come out and say, "Nathan it is time to get into the car" he runs around the house. So I usually say "Nathan you need to come here right now or I will give you a time-out". So I start counting and he usually ends up coming around 5 counts with a mischievous smile on his face. When I am in a hurry I just go and grab him which makes him very unhappy. What makes him the most unhappy is when he does not get to do something that he wants to do like get into the car himself or stay outside, etc. He is only happy when it is under his control and his efforts. Which I usually let him do but sometimes I don't have the patients or I am in a hurry. I had to slap his hand twice yesterday because he ran away from me in a parking lot. He was not happy with that and neither was Julianne but I told her that I would rather slap his hand than have him get hit by a car. She understood and told him he should not run in a parking lot. Our discipline techniques usually work but he is always getting disciplined so maybe they are not working. I just think he is in that phase and nothing will work right now. As long as I am consistent with what we are doing and know that he is not in any danger than he will grow out of it and then we will be dealing with a different issue.
I think he is more difficult than the girls were at this age. I don't remember them being so strong willed and difficult. We did not have the terrible twos with the girls and I think that the threes were a little worse than the twos but not this worse. I don't know if it is a boy thing, a third child thing or just a Nathan thing. Maybe I don't have enough patience to deal with him during this time since I have so much other stuff going on. I don't know but sometimes he drives me nuts!!! I love him to death and I am so glad that his is so strong willed and likes to do stuff by himself and it is fun to see how upset he gets over certain things. I know this will pass and I will be a more patient and stronger mother and women because of him but he is sure getting the best of me some days.
Things I am grateful/thankful for:
-My sweet Nathan
-getting into spinning class today
-my loving husband
1 comment:
Nathan needs to learn he isn't going to get his way a lot of the time. Don't wear yourself out with his behavior. Pick him up and put him in the car, screaming if he insists. He isn't going to suffer from it and he will get over it. Save your frustration and anxiety, let him scream! He will figure out how he needs to act.Don't let him control you!!!!!!!!! K
Post a Comment