Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The New Year

I am not going to make a resolution to post more because I know that I will not.  I am already behind and I don't not need any more personal pressure for myself to do more.  So I am not going to do that.  I am posting for myself, for my family and for my few friends that read this blog.  My frequency of blog postings definitely reflect how much free time I have and throughout last year my free time decreased, as you can see from my postings.  But that is alright, I am still keeping up with this and still documenting our life for our kids, so that is the most important thing about keeping up this blog.   

Our Holiday season was great.  We had a great Christmas with family and extended family.  We also had a lot of snow so that was great to have around the holidays.  The kids enjoyed it even if it was not specifically on Christmas.   I will tell the rest of the story with the following photos.

Photobucket
We went to visit Santa with cousins and had a great time talking to the "talking tree".  
Photobucket
Unfortunately, Santa's ear piece was a little loud and Julianne could hear it and questioned if this was the real Santa or not.  So after this year we will probably have to have the talk with her so that she knows what really goes on.

Photobucket
A week before most of the holiday festivities began we had a week where the family was sick.  It started with Lindsay when she had high fever and then got this rash.  I think she had Rosella.  Then Mallory threw up during the middle of the week and missed a few days of school.  After a few days of not getting sick I thought I was in the clear but Friday night was my turn.  I threw up for 6 solid hours and was completely exhausted the next day.  Now I throw up almost every year but this year was different because I slept all day.  I was barely up for an hour before my eyes kept wanting to shut again.  It was great to be able to sleep all day but obviously I was not productive.  Saturday night I sweated in my bed and Sunday morning I felt 100% better.  So it must have had some flu virus in it because it was more then just the stomach bug.  It was the stomach flu.  I don't think that exempts me from the real flu but maybe it will.  Julianne also threw up once or twice and of course D did not get it at all.  For some reason he rarely gets the stomach bug.  I am so jealous.  I am not a big fan of vaccines but if they had a vaccine for the stomach bug I would definitely get it.  

Photobucket
Photobucket
Our first snow came while my mom and Rick were in town so I think they enjoyed it.  We then had Christmas over at Dad's house.

Photobucket Photobucket
The kids all enjoyed hanging out with their cousins and family.  Mallory got a new bike, Julianne got a new guinea pig cage, Nathan received some Playmobil sets and Lindsay received a doll house.  So it was nice to hang out with everyone.

Photobucket
Christmas morning...all the kids slept together.  It was so cute.  
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
D figuring out his new coffee machine.
Photobucket
The kids in their Coca-Cola polar bear hats.
Photobucket
Lindsay in her Christmas Grandma dress.  I was impressed that she let us put it on her.

It also snowed after Christmas so we had a good 6 to 10 inches of snow on the ground.  The kids had a blast playing in it and we were able to go sledding a few times.  
Photobucket
This was Lindsay's first real time playing in the snow.  She did not enjoy that the snow stuck to her mittens, but loved being pulled around in the sled.  
Photobucket
She did not enjoy sledding but instead just really wanted to pull the sled around by the rope.
PhotobucketPhotobucket PhotobucketNathan attempting to snowboard.  He did pretty well on the plastic kid snowboard.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
It is funny because at any sledding hill there is always a handmade jump.  The kids always take advantage of these and I avoid them because they always give me a headache if I land just right on it.  

D and Julianne's team also played in a winter basketball tournament so that was a distraction from the snow.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
She is like an emotional rollar coster when she plays.  She could have one game where she plays really well and is aggressive and then the next day she will not want the ball, cries on the court or just is not that into it.  So she is working on it and we think she has turned a corner of her not getting into her mind too much when she is playing and just enjoying it.  She puts a lot of pressure on herself and gets upset when the ball is stolen or she messes up but as much as she plays we keep telling her it is OK to not do it perfectly all the time as long as you are trying.  So she is currently working through this and will hopefully succeed in the end because she is a really good player when she is in the right mindset.

The following pictures are a great insight into Lindsay's personality.
Photobucket PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket 
Lindsay pushing her way in, Nathan falling over because he was pushed by his little sister, then Lindsay noticing that she pushed him and talking to him.  
Photobucket
Then she tackles him and sit on him.  Is she an alpha female or what.
Photobucket
Here she is in her persistent mode.  I will not pick her up but she keeps trying.  I think I have a similar picture of Nathan at this age doing the same thing.  I sometimes love to tortured them for a good picture.

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
This was from a different sledding experience at a different hill but notice again there is a man made jump.  The kids got great air out of this jump.  There were also woods at the bottom of this hill that they sledded into so that was also fun.

Photobucket Photobucket
Lastly, we had Nathan's birthday.  I can't believe he is six.  That is so crazy but he really is a great kid.  He tries hard at school and sports, is easy to be around, is sensitive and caring while still making us laugh everyday.  He has had a hard winter with his asthma.  He had an episode at Christmas and he just had one a week ago.  So I don't know if it is just because of the viruses going around or it is getting worse.  We are going to go see a more natural/homeopathic pediatrician soon to see if there is anything else we can be doing for him to ease his asthma episodes.  I don't really want to put him on a steroid everyday but it is so hard to really know what to do and what not to do since every case is different.  So hopefully she will help us out, if not we will continue to do what we do and see how it goes.  

Things I am grateful/thankful for:
-large amounts of snow that stick around for awhile
-having time to write in this blog
-Yoga
-the holidays with our extended family


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I get so excited when I see a a new post from you! And of course, the pictures! I can't get over the sledding pictures where the kids catch air over the jump. Such amazing pictures! I know I would be a Nervous Nelly if I was there. That's what happens to flatlander Floridians... :)

I'm impressed that Julianne has held onto her belief in Santa this long. There is something so sweet about that. I was tempted to tell Adeline this year because of the questions she was asking and also because I don't want her to think that Santa doesn't come to our house because of her and Sister's behavior, you know?

And, wow, look at Julianne playing basketball! She looks amazing and strong. Love that! How funny about her waffling between being in control and then totally not. What good lessons for life, though. And how wonderful that she has you and Dwight to guide her through those times; most kids would just be hollered at and shamed, I'd guess.

I really miss you, Shannon. I hope you are doing well, even if your free time has diminished. And, seriously, good for you for not putting even more pressure on yourself with unrealistic goals. You do what you can, and it's wonderful. <3