Monday, August 30, 2010

The routine of school

The past few weeks have gone by so fast. We took a vacation with my family to Greenbrier, WV to celebrate my fathers 60th birthday. We had a great time with our family. We went swimming, participated in a scavenger hunt, gambled a meager 35 dollars at the casino, and went bowling. It was a great place with a lot of activities to participate in. Our kids had a great time with their cousins and extended family and I had a wonderful time spending more lazy time with them.

Photobucket
Here is the main hotel. It was so beautiful, old and large. It reminded me of the Shinning hotel. I was waiting for the little boy to come out and say, "red rum."
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket
The kids loved take care of cousin Ryan.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Nathan playing swords with Dad.

Nathan actually fainted because he either was really mad that my dad would not give him the second sword or because he lost his breath. Nathan originally had two of these swards and so Dad got one of them and teasly would not give one of them back so Nathan started crying. He did one of those cries where you are waiting for him to breath. Well he did not and then fell backwards and hit his head and was stillness for about 10 seconds. So I went over to him and his lips were blue and his eyes were blank. He was looking at me but it was really wired because it was like he was not really there. I started to lightly tap his cheeks and then he blinked and looked at me and then he was back. I held him and he was all sweaty. It was a wired experience since I have never had any of my children faint. I think that he lost is breath and then knocked himself out either because he lost his breath or because he hit his head. I watched the entire thing and I thought that I remember his lips turning blue while he was falling. So how knows. I thought he was initially having a seizer since he was kind of thrashing around until he fell. So he is fine and he was just mad because grandpa took his other sword.
Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket
Birthday cake!!
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket
These are pictures of us Geo caching. It was really fun and the kids had a blast. It is was too bad that some of the boxes were missing but the kids still enjoyed it.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Love Nathan's face.
Photobucket
This is the treasure that the kids found.
Photobucket
An "after" picture of the hunters.
Photobucket

Right after we got back, Nana and Gigi come to town. It was great having them in Ohio. Nana stayed for a week and Gigi stayed for half a week. They got to see the girls go back to school and they spend a day weeding my over weeded landscaping. They cleared out 8 bags of debris and I think they had fun. They suggested it so I said, "sure." they helped us pick out a desk for Julianne and Gigi helped Julianne organize her room. I made them both a quilt and gave it to them while they were at our house. The loved them and I hope that they match some of their colors in their homes. Those are my first officially completed quilts. I still have a quilt in my linen closet that I have not finished because I tried to do the quilting on my sewing machine and totally messed it up. So it was great to complete these and give them away.

Photobucket Photobucket

Julianne and Mallory started school last week. They were suppose to start on Tuesday but Monday night Mallory started to throw up and then she had a fever on Tuesday. So she did not go to her first day of school which was kind of sad but I guess it happens. Julianne was excited but nervous. This is the first year that she has her own desk, where she gets to keep all her own school supplies in it. There are also 28 kids in her class which is actually a lot. But she will adjust and is enjoying being in the new hall and playing at the big kids playground. They also only have two recesses in 3rd grade. So she was a little bummed about that. The morning recess is spent reading and doing other tasks so she only goes out at lunch and in the afternoon.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Mallory felt better by Tuesday evening so we knew that she would be ready to go on Wednesday. We both walked her to her room and surprisingly did not cry. She did tell us later and she cried after we left but the teacher got her back on track. The rest of the week Julianne walked her in and she cried both days. Julianne just said that she told her she had to go into her room and the teacher took over from there. Julianne did a great job of supporting her sister, which she does not always do, and helping her get into her classroom. Starting today, we told Julianne that she did not need to walk her to her classroom so we will see how Mallory did today. Julianne actually rode her bike today to school all by herself. So that is exciting for her. She really wanted to do it so we let her. She is really responsible and I trust that she will make good decisions when crossing our 4 lane road and watching for cars. It is still hard to feel like it is going to be alright but we did it when I was younger so it really is not that big of deal.
Photobucket Photobucket
I don't know why she kept tilting her head like that but she looks super cute.
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket

It will take Mallory awhile to adjust to the additional time she has to spend at school. She is such a homebody that I think she just does not know any else besides being at home most of the day. So it will take some time. She sure was grumpy on Friday so this week be the test since they go all 5 five days this week.

Things I am grateful/thankful for:
-Celebrating my Dad's 60th birthday with our family
-Having Gigi and Nana come up to visit
-Seeing our girls grow up
-Julianne buying white bread with her own money. (I refuse to buy white bread but Julianne is obsessed with it so she offered to buy some with her own money so I told her she could. She said she also wanted to buy "fake" peanut butter with her money as well. We were cracking up when she told us this).

No comments: